Kevin D. Howard, CPA Managing Shareholder
Kevin, a founding shareholder of Smith, Carney & Co., P.C. (SCC) in 1984 , is currently Chief Executive Officer. His work experience encompasses audit, tax, bookkeeping, and consulting. His specialty is the oil and gas industry. Other industries include wholesale distributors, non-profit organizations, manufacturing, publically-held corporations, and coal mining operations; tax return preparation for individuals, corporations, and partnerships, including multi-state tax filings; estates, trusts, and business valuations.
After graduating from Oklahoma City University in December, 1977, Kevin joined the Billups, Arnn & Mascho firm who merged with Ernst & Whinney in 1982. He taught oil and gas accounting at the University of Central Oklahoma for 19 years. Kevin belongs to various professional and civic organizations, and serves on several charity boards. He is licensed in Oklahoma and Texas, and has held licenses to practice in North Carolina and New Mexico.
Hobbies include traveling, hiking in the mountains and the desert canyons, and writing books.
- September, 1984 to Present – Shareholder/President of Smith, Carney & Co., P.C. Managing partner of the Ardmore office. The firm employs 18 people in Ardmore and 33 in Oklahoma City. We have clients coast to coast and overseas. Currently Chief Executive Officer.
- Work experience encompasses audit, tax, bookkeeping, outsourcing, and consulting. Specialty is oil and gas. Other industries include multi-state wholesale distributors, non-profit organizations, retailers and manufacturers, publically-held corporations, international operations, and coal mining operations; tax return preparation for individuals, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts, estate and gift tax planning and preparation, valuations, non-profits, and retirement plans.
- January, 1982 – December, 2000 (19 years) – adjunct professor of accounting at the University of Central Oklahoma teaching Oil & Gas Accounting.
- June, 1982 – September, 1984 – manager with Ernst & Whinney (currently Ernst & Young), an international CPA firm. Joined E & W via merger with Billups, Arnn & Co.
December, 1977 – Employed by Billups, Arnn & Mascho (later changed to Billups, Arnn & Co), an Oklahoma City CPA firm.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- South Central Chapter of CPAs
- Oklahoma Energy Producers Alliance
- Licensed to practice in Oklahoma and Texas (also previously licensed in North Carolina and New Mexico).
Civic and Personal:
Currently serving on the following Boards:
- Ardmore Rotary Club (Treasurer)
- Ardmore Rotary Club Foundation (Treasurer)
- Southwest Historical Foundation
- Community Activities, Inc. of Ardmore
- Community Foundation of Ardmore, Inc.
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University Accounting Advisory Board
- Friends of Chickasaw National Recreation Area, Inc. – Treasurer/Founder
- Piedmont United Methodist Church Board, including Church treasurer for 13 years.
- Piedmont Sports Association – served as girls and boys basketball coach and assistant.
- Piedmont Public Schools Foundation, Inc. – served as Treasurer 1991 to 2000.
- Vails Ranchettes Homeowners Association – served as Treasurer 1984 to 2000.
- City of Piedmont Board of Adjustment – 1983 to 1987.
- Leadership Ardmore – Class of 2003.
- Keeping up with the grandkids
- Traveling – we took the kids to all 50 states while they were growing up.
- Working on a “Grand Slam” – climbing all of the mountains in Colorado over 14,000 feet. 48 down, 6 to go.
- Hiking the canyons of the West. Have hiked all of the South Rim to the Colorado River trails in Grand Canyon National Park, Rim to Rim, and many slot canyons in Utah.
- Visiting all of the U.S. National Parks. 57 down, 4 to go.
- Working on our farm.
- Indoor sport climbing
- Writing books